Mergers and Acquisitions

We have acted as lead counsel in a number of high value, cross-border mergers and acquisitions for some of the biggest corporations in the world. Our experience extends to privatization, which is an area in which we have been heavily involved as a result of the Government of Jordan’s privatization program. Major firms, banks and financial institutions as well as multinational corporations have repeatedly hired us for our reputation and very impressive track record in the area.

Chambers Global points out that “Sources enthuse that (Obeidat Freihat) is definitely top-tier and point to the prominence of its cross-border experience”.

Our firm’s highlights include:

  • Advising a leading telecommunications company in the region on its acquisition of an African telecommunications operator with 24 million subscribers in 14 African countries for approximately $3.3 billion.
  • Advising a leading telecommunications company in the region on its acquisition of 61% of the shares of Sudan’s leading mobile operator in a deal valued at around $1.3 billion.
  • Advising a leading telecommunications company in the region on its acquisition of the entirety of the shares of Orascom Telecom’s mobile operation in Iraq for a sum of $1.2 billion. We went on to merge that operation with our client’s existing operation in Iraq.
  • Advising a leading telecommunications company in the region on its proposed acquisition of a controlling stake in Palestine Telecommunications Company through a reverse merger and share swap with the company’s 96.5% controlled Jordanian entity. The transaction was valued at an excess of $1 billion but was never completed for regulatory reasons.
  • Advising a major GCC-based dairy and food company on its acquisition of a 75% interest in a Jordanian dairy producer and its subsidiaries in a deal valued at $55 million; followed by a further acquisition of the remaining 25% stake in a deal valued at $12 million.
  • Advising an international financial institution on its acquisition of a minority stake in a local Jordanian bank for an approximate value of $35 million.
  • Advising the region’s leading restaurant, food processing, distribution, and retail company on its successful acquisition of 100% of a Jordanian company that held the franchise rights in Jordan for one of the biggest fast food chains in the world.
  • Advising a GCC-based Shari’a compliant Bank on its acquisition of a stake in a Jordanian company involved in the business of logistics.
  • Advising a collection of local banks on their acquisition of a stake in a company involved in the provision of centralized electronic bill presentation and payment services to the local market.