Sufian is an expert in commercial arbitration and constitutional law. He has acted for government bodies, multinational corporations and international financial institutions in complex international arbitration proceedings and has acted both as a party-nominated arbitrator and a sole arbitrator in disputes involving public and private clients, including the Ministry of Public Works and Housing, construction companies, and others.
Sufian is also a prominent researcher in constitutional reform, security sector reform, civil liberties and individual freedoms and is a founding member and President of the Arab Association of Constitutional Law.
Sufian is currently acting as local counsel to a project company in arbitration proceedings brought forward by the Jordanian Ministry of Water and Irrigation in a dispute worth over $400 million.
Sufian has recently successfully represented:
- A client in a $4 million arbitration proceeding, under ICC rules, with counter claims between our client and a hotel owner and operator over the termination of an option agreement that provided for the hotel owner’s option to build a hotel and operate it under an international license secured by our client.
- The Ministry of Finance of Jordan in a Jordanian Arbitration Law proceeding brought against it by a development company claiming in excess of $3 million in damages from the Ministry for the termination of an agreement that gave the claimant the right to develop certain agricultural lands in the southern part of Jordan under certain concessionary conditions.
Prior to joining Obeidat Freihat, Sufian was an associate at White & Case’s Washington, D.C. office from 2000-2001 and before that he was Managing Partner at Abu Ghazaleh Intellectual Property from 1992-1997.
Sufian has published the following articles:
- General Intelligence Department Between Law and Reality, the Case of Jordan. LL. M paper, Harvard Law School, 2002.
- Acts of General Intelligence, Law and Practice. Thesis submitted to the Jordan Bar Association, May 2004.
- – Security Reform in Jordan: Where to Start, Arab Reform Initiative publications, December 2009,
- Corruption in Jordan, Arab Reform Initiative publications, July 2010,
- The Rule of Law in Jordan, a Quick Scan, in cooperation with the Hague Institute for Internationalization of Law (HiiL).
- Constitutional Reforms in Jordan, in cooperation with International IDEA.